Over the last few years, the representation of OFII in Tunisia has been sharing its know-how through collaborative projects funded by the European Union. The aim is to improve the framework and the running of legal pathways for migration. The latest of these projects is called THAMM OFII. It started in January 2022 and will cover a 4 years period.
Projects funded by the EU.
What is the THAMM project?
THAMM stands for “Towards a Holistic Approach to Labour Migration Governance and Labour Mobility in North Africa”. Adopting this project is essential to maximise the benefits of migration for countries of origin and destination as well as migrant workers and their families.
The International Labour Organisation (ILO), the International Organisation for Migration (IOM), the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ), the Belgian Development Cooperation Agency (Enabel), and more recently the OFII, are involved in this program which the aim is to foster legal migration and mobility from Tunisia, Morocco and Egypt.
The THAMM OFII program
The THAMM OFII program only applies to Tunisia. Developed by the OFII and the Tunisian National Employment Agency (ANETI), the program aims at increasing circular occupational mobility between Tunisia and France and other interested European countries.
What does circular migration mean?
Circular migration implies the possibility that any individual rightfully involved in a migration process can contemplate spending some years in Europe and in Tunisia, without an irreversible nature. The basic principle of circular migration is that it must benefit to all stakeholders:
- Migrants, through a legal stay, a social security, a right to training, a saving capacity, a return or resettlement assistance;
- Destination countries by helping them overcome recruitment difficulties of companies in particular area (jobs in short supply);
- Countries of origin for which emigration is a way to overcome unemployment difficulties. This can lead to economic transfers and increased return of skills from migratory experience.
What should we expect from THAMM OFII?
The planned actions comprise four specific objectives:
- Promoting concrete circular migration programme (seasonal contracts, “young professional” contracts),
- Developing the attractiveness within Tunisian territory regarding expatriates skills (anticipate the return),
- Strengthening cooperation between Tunisian and European administrations on jobs in shortage areas (facilitate the link between demand and supply),
- Improving the employment of qualified Tunisians on the Tunisian and international labour markets.
At least 1500 Tunisians will benefit directly from THAMM OFII: half will integrate the European labour market and the other half will significantly improve their employability abroad.
The objective remains to improve occupational migration channels for higher-education and vocational training graduates as well as job seekers registered on the National Agency for Employment and Self-Employment (ANETI).
Indeed, promoting legal channels for occupational migration should send a positive message for Tunisian youth encouraged to undertake a project in a constructive manner in order to develop transferable skills instead of considering unsure migratory routes.
Placement objectives integrated into the THAMM OFII project as pilot initiatives.
How to participate to the THAMM OFII program?
The project team will soon be setting up a website and a Facebook page that will update all activities. In this way, everyone will be able to stay informed on the progress of the project and seize the opportunities offered by the pilot initiatives.