All you need to know about the CAI
Everything about the CAI
The OFII's role, in terms of welcoming foreign people, was defined by the “Loi de programmation pour la cohésion sociale” (Social Cohesion Planning Act) of 18 June 2005, which established the legal basis of the CAI.
Today, the OFII presents each foreign person wishing to reside in France with an accommodation and integration contract signed with the Prefect, who represents the State.
Extract from the “Code de l'entrée et du séjour des étrangers et du droit d'asile” (Code of Admission and Residence of Foreign Persons and the right to asylum):
Article L.311-9 of the French Code of Admission and Residence of Foreign Persons stipulates that foreign people admitted to stay in France, or who legally enter France for the first time between the age of sixteen and eighteen, and who wish to reside here, must prepare for their integration into French society. As provided for by Decree No. 2006-1791 dated 23 December 2006 (Official bulletin dated 31 December 2006), the foreign person enters into an accommodation and integration contract with the Government. This contract aims to establish "a relationship of confidence and mutual obligation" between France and the persons wishing to reside here.The accommodation and integration contract has been compulsory since 1 January 2007.
Code de l'entrée et du séjour des étrangers et du droit d'asile (Code of Admission and Residence of Foreign Persons and the right to asylum)
- Article L.311-9
- Articles R.311-19 to R.311-26 (regulatory part)
Code du travail(Labour regulations)
- Article L.341.9 and R341.9 and following
Code de l'action sociale et des familles (Code of social action and families)
- Article L.117.1
Code de l'éducation (Education regulations)
- Articles D.338-23 to D.338-32 (regulatory part)
- Décret n°2006-1626 du 19 décembre 2006 relatif au diplôme initiale de langue française (DILF)(Decree no. 2006-1626 of 19 December 2006 relating to the Diploma of introduction to French (DILF)
- Décret n° 2006-1791 du 23 décembre 2006(Decree no. 2006-1791 of 23 December 2006)
- Arrêté du 20 décembre 2006 fixant le contenu des épreuves conduisant à la délivrance du DILF (Order of 20 December 2006 establishing the content of the examinations leading to the DILF)
- Arrêté du 19 janvier 2007 relatif aux formations prescrites aux étrangers signataires du contrat d'accueil et d'intégration (Order of 19 January 2007 relating to the training courses recommended for foreign people signing the accommodation and integration contract)
Siège : OFII, 44 rue Bargue - 75732 Paris Cedex 15 /// Tél. : 01 53 69 53 70 - Fax : 01 53 69 53 69